At the start of 2010 i found myself in need of a challenge, and so i embarked on a project to document every bus trip that i took during the year in the form of a lino print.

I'm an illustrator by trade, but i was so busy illustrating that I wasn't really doing much observational drawing any more. Plus I really fancied getting to grips with a new [ish] skill. And lino printing is a fairly easy thing to set up, at least to begin with...

I decided that each print would be A5, in a limited edition of 13, to celebrate the fact that the route i travel most is the 13/13A. It's a good job I don't live in Headingley and travel on the number 97 all the time...

Now the year is up and all the prints from the project are posted here, in journey order.

Some of the prints are a bit all over the shop if I'm honest. Some aren't even that good. Some are pleasing in places, and one or two make me very, very happy. Several of them have left me feeling utterly exasperated and seriously thinking of jacking the whole thing in.

But I didn't, and here they are. Inspired by Billy Childish, I have resolved not to think of them in terms of success or failures - they just are what they are and I've been trying to learn to do them better and to make something worth looking at...

Friday, February 11, 2011

lettering, fonts, text etc...

One of the things that I like most about these prints is that they all have text on them. I’m fascinated by fonts and lettering, without necessarily being knowledgeable enough to choose or use them competently. I’d love to know more and just generally have a bit more skill in working with type.

Throughout the project I struggled with making the text white – cutting the letters into the block is a process seems more suited to formal lettering. Whereas cutting the letters out of the block seems to favour a less controlled approach where the tool dictates the form of the letter a bit more…

At times in this project I’ve thought I might make a bit more of the lettering; choose some more intricate fonts and really get into crafting the type, but I never quite got around to it. There’s a tension there because working against that desire to get into the more formal typographical side of things is the fact that I really love the way the more organic and freely-cut lettering works. Print 23 is one of my favourites, largely because the rough-cut text looks so great [to me]
And I love the way that the text can be made to wrap around and interact with the image when you cut it more roughly…

One thought that I’ve had is a project to make a Leeds alphabet – 26 letters in different fonts drawn form around the city. Maybe that might satisfy the typographical urge in me
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment